Any member aged under 18 is deemed to be a junior by England Squash & Racketball (ESR) and by the Wycombe club. The club adheres to ESR guidelines for safeguarding juniors and more detailed information on this is available on their website: www.englandsquashandracketball.com
At the club, safeguarding includes the following elements:
- The appointment of a Child Welfare Officer;
- The publication of a club policy statement for child welfare (the term “Safeguarding” is used by the authorities);
- The inclusion of a parental consent form for all juniors as part of the initial membership and renewal procedure;
- A club policy that all under 18s should wear protective goggles when on court (it is the parent/guardian’s responsibility to provide them);
- Codes of conduct for coaches/volunteers, juniors, parents and referees.
- Guides for young people, parents/carers and regarding under 18s playing in adult teams or competitions.
- Other documents regarding good practice.
- Ensuring all coaches and volunteers complete personal disclosure forms, are CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) checked and attend any necessary and related safeguarding courses.
Documents for all aspects of Child Welfare will be available on-line shortly and some will also be displayed on the Juniors’ noticeboard downstairs at the club.
The Officials Responsible
The officials who manage and support of junior squash and racketball at the club are:
- Junior Director and Child Welfare Officer – Tim Morgan
- Lead Coach (ES level 2) – Heidi Leseur
- Assistant Coaches (ES level 1) – Alison Vadas, Dana Morgan, Mattie Hewlett, Freddie Evans, Harry Lomas
Saturday Coaching Sessions
These sessions are held on most Saturdays throughout the year; holidays and exceptions are notified well in advance. A free trial session is offered, followed by two pay-as-you-go sessions. Junior membership is required subsequently including club benefits.
New members will be allocated to the appropriate sessions after assessment by our coaches. At least three courts are dedicated to each session, with a fourth court available for use as determined by the lead coach on the day. The fifth court may also be used if not already booked.
Other Individual/Group Coaching
These sessions are available from our coaches and club approved visiting coaches – invited groups on a Wednesday from 5 pm to 6.30 pm and individuals by arrangement between coach and parents.
Teams and Competitions
The club runs three teams in the Bucks County Junior League. Matches (home and away) are played on Sundays typicaly from 2:30 – 4pm. A match fee of £3.00 is levied. Snacks and refreshments are provided by the home team for all matches.
Club championships are held each year by age group – i.e. under-11 (subject to demand/interest), under-13, under-15, under-17, under-19. These are open to both boys and girls but separate girls’ events will also be held when numbers permit. For session 1 (beginners) we would normally expect to organise a handicap tournament. All main tournaments will include plate events for first round losers.
Off-peak courts are free for games between junior members; and between junior members and accompanying adult member. Peak-time courts are subject to normal adult fees (see main club guide for further information). The club is only accessible by key fob before noon on weekdays and (normally) on Sundays prior to 5 pm. Key fobs are allocated only to adult members of the club. All cheques made payable to ‘WSRC’.
For Junior Membership, please see the Juniors page.